Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tonia, the CPU


I read the 50th birthday book Mike had created for me in the Palm Terrace grill at the Turtle Bay resort. Many of the submittals of advice from my friends highlighted their values and issues. Others recounted funny stories our of time together. In many cases, they commented on my boundless energy and ability to multi-task.

Mike and I reflected on this a moment. He said he had compared notes with Connie on how much work high school, college and grad school were. I remarked that all three periods were fun for me yet intense--not necessarily too much work to handle--just muscle through finals week. Put your head down and plow through it.

"I always think of you as a CPU," said Mike. You are an incredibly efficient processor, "But don't retain much."

He's absolutely right. I enjoy doing, working, processing. I have to empty my memory stores so I can take on and organize the next project. When I am in "work" mode, I am like a machine.

For my next 50 years:
* I want to learn how to relax when I work.
* I want to say, "It's OK to get distracted." I just have to leave myself more time to get it done.
* I want to spend more time with friends.
* I want to just play with my family.

I think I'm through working. Now I will truly learn and play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home