Friday, September 05, 2008

Beware of Big Boxes!


After repeatedly replacing the ball & flap in the master bedroom toilet tank, we finally gave up. We bought a new toilet. To combat months of a slow leak in times of water rationing, we bought a water-sipping Toto toilet that used only 1.2 gal/flush! (For the longest time, 1.6 gal was the most efficient.) Thomas Wellborn, our wonderfully reliable plumber came immediately to swap out the old toilet.

Seeing the Toto's empty box standing obstinately in our foyer brought a smile to my face. Many years ago, not long after we had moved into our house on Skyline, we had another big box in the foyer. It was about 3 feet tall, 5 feet long and perhaps only 6 inches wide. It was big enough to fit a kid's bicycle. I remember removing the contents then leaning the empty box against the wall in the entryway. Then I turned to leave the foyer and trundled off to dispose of the trash.

When I returned, I was completely puzzled. Something was different. The box was no longer leaning against the wall. It was standing all alone in the middle of the foyer!

"How did it get there?" I wondered. So I walked over to the huge yet skinny box to investigate.

Suddenly, "Boing!" Grinning like a Jack-in-the Box, out popped my 6 year old son.

"Ack!" I was so shocked that I almost had a heart attack!

He had never elicited such a dramatic reaction from me before so he was thrilled! In fact, I had never seen him looking so pleased with himself! That Mason, of mine.

So that's why I stood smiling while watching the empty Toto box in my foyer. You never know what will trigger a wonderful memory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home