Monday, April 27, 2009

Happy Mother's Day



I used to think I was a pretty capable person. I could keep any number of projects moving along, simultaneously--just like the plate spinners on the Ed Sullivan show. They get one plate spinning on a stick, then set up the next one, then another, then another, then run back to the first one to make sure it continues to spin. I remember being very impressed by this act. I felt I was more accomplished than most if I could keep five things going at the same time: answer the phone, vacuum the refrigerator condenser coils, answer the doorbell, help the kids with homework, all while cooking dinner.

One day, just as a reality check (or maybe I was fishing for a compliment), I asked Mason, "Do you remember those plate-spinners? What's the most number of plates you've ever seen them keep spinning, simultaneously?"

He paused to recollect for a moment then responded, "Oh, about 50."

"You have?! When?" I asked, incredulous--all hopes of grandeur, crushed.

"Mom, you know, the Chinese acrobats. The ones who spin 5 plates on each foot, have 5 going on each hand then have another 5 spinning from a pipe-like thingy in their mouth all while balancing another person doing the exact same thing."

"That's right," I thought, "the Chinese have taken this to a high art!" Take my mom for example. My mom excelled at doing many, many more tasks simultaneously than I could even imagine attempting! When we lived in Madison, Wisconsin, she used to throw HUGE dinner parties for the other econ professors at UW. These were 10-12 course sit-down banquets for 30 people at a time that she would cook single-handedly!! (While still looking beautiful, I might add.) Wow! I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to do something like that!

When I think back to my mom, I realize that she set very high standards for my sister and me, without realizing it. My mom is a CHINESE plate-spinner (see image on the next page) and that sets the bar VERY high indeed. If she could do it all, then we should be able to do it too...but boy is it exhausting! So whenever I think I'm doing pretty good at spinning my 5 or 6 plates and find myself getting a little complacent, I just remember my mom the Chinese plate-spinner and her 300 plates...Honestly, I don't know how she does it. She's just amazing.

Sure makes me proud to be Chinese, though!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home